MULTI-SPORTS TRAINING CAMP
Special Olympics Pennsylvania offers a week long sports camp for athletes. This camp usually occurs in August of each year in South/Western Pennsylvania. Athletes enjoy the usual summer camping experience while participating in sports training in their specific sports as well as an opportunity to try other sports.
This year's Multi-Sports Training Camp be held as a virtual experience from August 9-15, 2020. More details to follow!
SPORT CAMP DUE DATES:
TRADITIONAL CAMP INFORMATION:
- Sports Camp - Q and A
- Visitation-Smoking Policy
- Information About Ticks
- Intellectual Disabilities and Heat
- Seizures AAI
- 2021 - August 15-21
For more information, contact the State College Office at 1-800-235-9058 ext. 245.
TRADITIONAL CAMP HISTORY:
In 1978, Ken and Anthony Yazge met with former Special Olympics Pennsylvania President Frank Dean to see how their church could benefit the athletes of Special Olympics. The creation of a week-long sports training camp stemmed from that meeting and has (other than Summer Games) lasted longer than any other event at SOPA.
- Funding for the Special Olympics Pennsylvania Multi-Sports Training Camp comes from the North American Council (NAC) Teen Society of Orthodox Youth Organizations (SOYO).
- No camper, coach, or local program needs to pay any registration fees to attend.
- The Camp provides an intensive training program for Special Olympics athletes across the state. Athletes must be 12 years of age or older.
- Primary Sports offered are Aquatics, Athletics, Basketball, Bocce, Golf, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Tennis and Volleyball.
- Programs must provide same gender coach coverage 1:4 (1 coach for every 4 athletes)
Special Olympics Coaches and athletes who would like to attend Sports Camp must notify their local program Manager.