MULTI-SPORTS TRAINING CAMP
August 14 - 20, 2022
The 2022 SOPA/SOYO Multi-Sport Training Camp is scheduled for August 14 - 20, 2022. Here is some information you need to know:
- Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Due: Friday, May 20th
- Link to LOI: https://forms.gle/edMEi3CKF5Di7Q6V8
- What is Sports Camp? Zoom Webinar. This presentation will include everything you need to know about attending sports camp in order to attend and will have time for Q & A.
- Everyone is welcome on this call
- Tuesday, May 3rd at 7:00 pm
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvfu6rqDIvEtWp8Xidoz43ac0wRdo3W9aW
- In 2022 we will be returning to:
- 1:4 coach/athlete ratio – SAME GENDER
- All 12 sports will be offered
- Covid testing for all will take place prior to camp and during camp. (more information to follow on when and how)
- At this time, Covid vaccinations are not required. PLEASE note: If Covid procedures change, then the Camp attendance plans will change also. We will keep you up to date.
TRADITIONAL CAMP INFORMATION:
For more information, contact the State College Office at 1-800-235-9058 ext. 245.
TRADITIONAL CAMP HISTORY & FACTS:
In 1978, Ken and Anthony Yazge met with former Special Olympics Pennsylvania President Frank Dean to see how their church could benefit the athletes of Special Olympics. The creation of a week-long sports training camp stemmed from that meeting and has (other than Summer Games) lasted longer than any other event at SOPA.
- Funding for the Special Olympics Pennsylvania Multi-Sports Training Camp comes from the North American Council (NAC) Teen Society of Orthodox Youth Organizations (SOYO).
- No camper, coach, or local program needs to pay any registration fees to attend.
- The Camp provides an intensive training program for Special Olympics athletes across the state. Athletes must be 12 years of age or older.
Primary Sports offered are Athletics, Basketball, Bocce, Bowling, Golf, Flag Football, Floor Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis and Volleyball.
- Programs must provide same gender coach coverage 1:4 (1 coach for every 4 athletes)
Special Olympics Coaches and athletes who would like to attend (traditional/in-person) Sports Camp must notify their local program Manager.
FUTURE CAMP DATES:
- August 13-19, 2023
- August 11-17, 2024