VIRTUAL MULTI-SPORTS TRAINING CAMP
Thank you to those athletes and volunteers who participated in our 2020 Virtual Sports Camp, which took place online (Facebook/YouTube) from August 9-14th! While we were not able to come together in person, we still shared in the spirit of Sports Camp all week long!
Virtual Sports Camp was open to everyone from across the state and included all of the things that we've come to love during our time at Antiochian Village.
In addition to Opening and Closing Ceremonies, each day we presented a new opportunity for individuals to work out WITH us and even try some new sports! Camp featured12 sport-specific training videos, Camp Songs, Dance Parties, LIVE events like trivia and bingo, and so much more!!
Relive the excitement of Sports Camp by viewing our video playlist below.
VIRTUAL SPORTS CAMP VIDEO PLAYLIST
VIRTUAL SPORTS CAMP CHECKLISTS & Important links
- Materials Checklist for Each Sport:
This is a list of everything you will need in order to participate in your sport for Virtual Sports Camp. Please review so that you are ready to go!
- Ingredients Checklist for Healthy Snacks:
This is the shopping list for what you will need to participate in the Healthy Snacks segment on August 13th at 3 p.m. Please review and shop ahead!
- Virtual Sports Camp Bingo Registration:
- Bingo will be taking place on August 12th at 7 p.m. The deadline to register is Monday, August 10th at 10:00 p.m.
- Minute To Win It Supply List:
This is a list of few items that you should have on hand to join in on the fun, August 13th at 7 p.m.
- Share Your Photos & Videos:
We want to see YOU participating in training during the week! Take a picture or video and upload it to our Dropbox folder... or share them via social media using the hashtag #VirtualSportsCamp. Need guidance on how to upload your photos/videos? Take a look at our "How To Upload via Dropox" document.
- Virtual Farewell Dance:
Join us for the Virtual Farewell Dance to close out our 2020 Virtual Sports Camp in style! DJ Eric from Fireside Events will start spinning tunes on August 14th at 7:30 p.m. Visit www.mixcloud.com/fireside-events to join the dance, chat with your friends, request songs and upload photos! See you on the dance floor!
Coaches Training Guides to VIRTUAL Sports Camp
TRADITIONAL CAMP INFORMATION:
FUTURE CAMP DATE: August 15-21, 2021. For more information, contact the State College Office at 1-800-235-9058 ext. 245.
TRADITIONAL CAMP HISTORY & FACTS:
In 1978, Ken and Anthony Yazge met with former Special Olympics Pennsylvania President Frank Dean to see how their church could benefit the athletes of Special Olympics. The creation of a week-long sports training camp stemmed from that meeting and has (other than Summer Games) lasted longer than any other event at SOPA.
- Funding for the Special Olympics Pennsylvania Multi-Sports Training Camp comes from the North American Council (NAC) Teen Society of Orthodox Youth Organizations (SOYO).
- No camper, coach, or local program needs to pay any registration fees to attend.
- The Camp provides an intensive training program for Special Olympics athletes across the state. Athletes must be 12 years of age or older.
Primary Sports offered are Athletics, Basketball, Bocce, Bowling, Golf, Flag Football, Floor Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis and Volleyball.
- Programs must provide same gender coach coverage 1:4 (1 coach for every 4 athletes)
Special Olympics Coaches and athletes who would like to attend (traditional/in-person) Sports Camp must notify their local program Manager.