Cool Schools Page
Friday, December 6 | rolling 9:00 am – 12:00 pm | Drexel University Rec Center (3301 Market Street)
The Cool School Plunge is a friendly competition between high schools in Philadelphia and Delaware Counties. Students and staff are encouraged to create a team of “Plungers” and join the coolest event around! Your school’s team should work together to recruit as many participants as possible while raising money and awareness for Special Olympic athletes – including those in your own school!
Registration "How-To" Guides:
Cool Schools: Philly Suburban Plunge
We host a separate Philadelphia Suburban Polar Plunge for schools located in Montgomery, Bucks, and Chester Counties on Friday, December 13th from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm at Souderton Area High School (625 Lower Rd, Souderton, PA 18964).
For more information about this plunge, please visit the Suburban Plunge Page.
Now that you are ready to take the Plunge, you must:
- Designate a Team Captain – this cool teacher, coach, advisor or other faculty member will help organize the team and be the point person with your local program Special Olympics contact.
- Pick a team name. (create 1 team name for your school and be sure to include your school name in your team name)
- Register your school’s group online. Recruit and motivate others to be part of the fun!
- Team Captain is responsible for collecting and submitting all monies to Special Olympics during on-site registration the day of the event.
- Don’t forget to check out our Plunge Resources.
Roles & Responsibilities for the Team Captain:
- Set a fundraising goal and monitor your team’s progress.
- Organize team fundraising events.
- Communicate regularly with the team, providing updates and reminders.
- Lead the charge into the water on Plunge Day and HAVE FUN!!!
How Your School Can Make a Splash!
Generate buzz for your Cool School:
- Promote your school’s Plunge Team by hanging flyers, posters, sign-up sheets and other kinds of eye-catching materials throughout the school.
- Further promote your team in the school newspaper, with PA announcements and through the school’s Facebook page.
- Besides challenging other schools, have a friendly internal competition between classes, clubs, sports teams, etc., to see who can recruit the most Plungers. Reward the winning group with a prize.
Host a team fundraising event:
- Approach school staff with a dress down/jean day, where employees make a donation for the opportunity to wear jeans for the day.
- Provided a donation jar for each class.
- Do you have prime parking spots reserved in your school’s lot? Consider putting them up for auction each week, with proceeds benefiting your Plunge team.
Remember you will be “FREEZIN’ for a REASON”
The plunge is open to the public and all spectators are welcome free of charge.