The 2020 Special Olympics Pennsylvania (SOPA) Leadership Conference & Athlete Congress will be held on Saturday, August 29th - Sunday, August 30th at The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center in State College. We are very excited to return to this beautiful location once again! The Leadership Conference committee is hard a work planning many amazing sessions and activities for the weekend.
We hope you will find this weekend to be beneficial both on a personal and professional level. We are looking forward to seeing all of our programs in attendance.
Hotel reservations will be open as of April 15, 2020
- All payments will be made through a credit card; PREFERRED METHOD - SOPA issued credit card
- No invoices for the hotel or conference fees will be issued after the conference.
- If your program does not have a SOPA card, please contact the finance department.
- Hotel Rate - $129.00 per room
- Any athlete that is attending is expected to strictly adhere to Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s Housing Policy. For more information, you can refer to http://specialolympicspa.org/images/site_pages/SOPA_HOUSING_POLICY_-_APPROVED_Feb_23_2013.pdf
RESERVATION EMAIL – NEW 20202
Due to low staffing at the Penn Stater as a result of to the pandemic, we are asking that all reservations go to email@example.com.
- Please reference - GROUP CODE – PSOL20C.
- Within your email, please include the list of name(s) by room and the dates they are staying. For Example:
- Room 1 – Jane Smith & Karen Taylor; Check-in – August 29th / Check out August 30th
- Room 2 – Mr. & Mrs. Mike & Liz Johnson; Check-in – August 28th / Check out August 30th
- Please fill out the attached Credit Card Authorization form and send it to the Penn Stater.
- Reservations must be made by July 27th to ensure rooms are available.
- Any changesor cancellations must be made 48 hours before arrival to avoid being charged for a full stay.
- If changes or cancellations are not made and there is a “no show,” programs will be responsible for the room charge.
- Payment will be made to the hotel from the programs at check-out.
Please take the time to discuss who in your program will be able to attend and make your reservations as soon as possible. Conference & Athlete Congress Registration will be out in May with information on sessions, meals, and activities. The conference cost is $120 per person.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Carolyn Kushner, Manager of Volunteer Services
LEADERSHIP WEEKEND ACTIVITIES
Leadership Conference – August 29-30, 2020
- LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE – Hosted every year, it is an opportunity for the SOPA staff to talk/meet with key volunteers and athlete leaders about new programs and initiatives. Volunteers and athletes need to register through their programs to attend.
Athlete Congress – August 28-30, 2020
- ATHLETE CONGRESS - Hosted every 2 years, is a forum for Athlete Representatives to present recommendations to the SOPA Board of Directors for organizational change. Athlete Congress attendees must be trained Athlete Representatives -- one participant per county.
New Manager Training – August 28-29, 2020
- NEW MANAGER TRAINING – Hosted every as an opportunity for new managers to finished their training for their position.
2020 Leadership Awards - New Application Process
Special Olympics Pennsylvania will be awarding the following awards at the 2020 Leadership Banquet (August 29)
- Athlete Leaders of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Family of the Year
- Male/Female Athlete of the Year
- Management Team Member of the Year
- Program of the Year
- Unified Athlete of the Year
- Volunteer of the Year (Non-management team member)
All programs should take the time to look at the volunteers and athletes who have helped their program work towards the goals and mission of SOPA. Taking time to fill out nomination forms is the 1st step in showing all volunteers and athletes how valued they are to the Special Olympics movement. We have thousands of success stories about the many who have benefited from participating in Special Olympics, and now is the time to say “THANK YOU!”
2020 Leadership awards applications will now live on the “Special Olympics Pennsylvania Submittable website” (https://specialolympicspa.submittable.com/submit) Submittable is a website that will collect application forms for each award. Once you select one of the awards, you will be asked to create a username and password. This way you can save drafts of your work and finish the application at a later date. (Notes on the Submittable website are below)
- Only one nominee per category per program. Do not submit multiple nominations for each award category.
- Please notify your manager. All submissions must be run past your manager. If you do not have a program manager, please contact your SOPA field director.
- You may not submit a nomination in a category where your program had a winner last year. This will allow more people to be recognized both within your local program and throughout the state. However, you are welcome to nominate last year’s award winners in a different category.
- Paid Managers should not submit nominations. While they may provide input into the nomination process, in the interest of fairness, we request that they do not complete or submit the nomination forms.
- Please remember the submission is for work done in Program Year 2019
All nominations must be submitted by June 1, 2020. Click here for Submittable Instructions.
Please contact Carolyn Kushner if you have any questions about the application process and she will walk you through it.