Virtual Athlete Leadership University Sessions
This fall, Special Olympics Pennsylvania will be offering three virtual introductory Athlete Leadership University sessions open to all new and current Athlete Leaders. These sessions are:
- Healthy Lifestyles (Training to Become a Health and Fitness Coordinator), October 16th – 18th: A Health and Fitness Coordinator is an athlete committed to promoting healthier lifestyles for athletes, unified partners, coaches and families. They need to be 18 years of age or older, effectively communicate both face-to-face and electronically (e-mail and social media) and have a positive attitude.
- Global Messenger I, October 23rd – 25th: A Global Messenger is someone who, of course, enjoys talking! It should also be someone passionate who can easily sell Special Olympics to others! Anyone interested in becoming a Global Messenger needs to be at least 16 years of age or older.
- Athlete Representative I, November 13th – 15th: An Athlete Representative is someone that wants to not only lead a conversation, but also is willing to take action and speak on behalf of all athletes. Anyone interested in becoming an Athlete Representative needs to be at least 18 years of age or older.
Registration for these sessions is limited to only 12 Athlete Leaders and 12 Mentors, which is why it’s important that interested athletes and their mentors read through the registration information for the session that they wish to attend. All Athlete Leaders are required to have a mentor to support them before, during and after all Athlete Leadership University sessions.
In order to be a Mentor, in addition to being a Class A Volunteer, this individual:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Cannot be a current or former athlete
- Must be a good role model that is patient and supportive
- Must allow the Athlete Leader to grow
- Represents Special Olympics Pennsylvania professionally
Athlete Leaders and Mentors that do not live together CANNOT be together in-person during the sessions. All spots will be filled on a first come, first serve basis, with the exception of those that were registered to attend Athlete Representative I or Global Messenger I at a session that was to take place in late June.
If you have not done so already, please speak with your Program Manager/Director prior to registering to get their approval. Details on how to register can be found within the registration information. If you do not know who your Program Manager/Director is, you can find their name and contact info here.