Reminder: Virtual UNcathlon AMRAP – Join Us!
We have an exciting fundraising opportunity to share. On July 15th SOPA rolled out a NEW statewide fundraiser called the Virtual UNcathlon AMRAP. This event offers a 75/25 revenue share for our local programs – YOU keep 75% of the net amount raised by YOUR program!
I am sure many of you are likely asking, “What is an UNcathlon?” and “What is an AMRAP?”
- UNcathlon is a tremendously successful fundraiser for Special Olympics Pennsylvania that was “born” in Pittsburgh in 2017. The vision for this event was to embody the daily goal of SOPA: inclusion and acceptance through sport. In its traditional form, the UNcathlon is a decathlon style track and field team event with a twist – an 11th event! The 11th event is FUNDRAISING! Unified teams compete and earn points for each event and their combined score determines the winner.
- AMRAP is an acronym for As Many Rounds As Possible. For our purposes:
- AMRAP duration is 10 minutes
- During the AMRAP the participant will execute 10 repetitions of 5 exercises and REPEAT this ROUND as many times as possible in 10 minutes.
- 5 Exercises = Push-ups, Squats, Lunges, Mountain Climbers & Plank Jacks (Each exercise can be modified for various skill levels and abilities.)
- 1 ROUND = 10 Push-ups, 10 Squats, 10 Lunges, 10 Mountain Climbers, 10 Plank Jacks
- To get their score, the participant will count how many ROUNDS they complete in 10 minutes
- NOTE: We will have an instructional video on the AMRAP available.
Based on the success of the UNcathlon, the plan was to expand the event and bring it to Philadelphia this spring, but COVID changed those plans. The decision was made to make UNcathlon a statewide fundraising opportunity with revenue share for our local programs. Due to the pandemic we are unable to hold the UNcathlon in its traditional form, so we created the Virtual UNcathlon AMRAP. The virtual fundraiser will combine 1 physical event - the AMRAP (described above with the fundraising challenge of the traditional event).
Virtual UNcathlon AMRAP Highlights:
- We have created 9 UNIFIED teams statewide – one for each region that will compete for bragging rights.
- Each team will have an athlete captain & a co-captain from the community.
- Participants will compete and encourage others to join their team and take the challenge.
- Participants will identify their local program when they register – as part of the Revenue Share, 75% of the net amount raised by that program will stay with that program!!
- TOGETHER we will raise money that will directly support YOUR program!