Special Olympics Pennsylvania (SOPA) is excited to announce that a new fundraising team event is just over two months away – the Lehigh Valley Plane Pull! On Saturday, October 7th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the inaugural Lehigh Valley Plane Pull will take place at the Lehigh Valley International Airport to raise funds for SOPA athletes in the Greater Lehigh Valley Pocono Region. This fun competition challenges teams of 25 participants to pull a FedEx Airbus 300 airplane, which weighs 175,000 pounds, a distance of 12 feet. The team who pulls the plane 12 feet the fastest will be crowned the strongest team in the Lehigh Valley.
Each team is tasked with raising a minimum of $2,500 ($100 per team member) for SOPA for the chance to participate in the event! During the event, teams will compete to pull the plane the fastest in their division. Divisions include:
- Open Division: Ideal for companies, clubs, friends and families
- Public Safety Division: Law enforcement, first responders and military personnel
- Fitness Division: CrossFit, gyms, yoga, running clubs or other fitness group
- University Division: College and University students and staff
- High School Division: High School students and staff
Registration for the event is live – so create your team, invite your friends to join, fundraise and then pull that plane!
The Lehigh Valley Plane Pull is SOPA’s newest event aimed at raising funds to help to ensure that nearly 3,000 athletes in the Greater Lehigh Valley Pocono Region have access to year-round sports, health and leadership programming free of charge! Every foot that the FedEx Airbus 300 is pulled creates opportunities for SOPA's athletes on and off the field.