Walk, Run, or Roll Between October 19, 2020 and December 13, 2020
Join the Stride Challenge!
WHAT IS THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS NORTH AMERICA (SONA) STRIDE CHALLENGE?
The SONA Stride Challenge is a great way to get (and stay) active this fall! Keep track of how many miles or kilometers you walk, run or roll in your wheelchair over the course of eight (8) weeks. Click here to download our SONA Stride Challenge fact sheet. Click here to learn more about the Commit to Fit initiative.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Open to all Special Olympics athletes to register as an individual or part of a Unified Pair. Family, friends and supporters can participate as a Unified partner teamed up with a Special Olympics athlete. All participants will receive a Special Olympics pin for their hard work. Registration opens Oct. 7th.
Use the following hashtags on social media when posting photos of yourself! #SONAStride #PAStride
Distances - Choose one (1) distance that you feel you can complete in eight (8) weeks.
- 25 Miles - minimum of 3 miles each week
- 50 Miles - minimum of 6 miles each week
- 100 Miles - minimum of 12.5 miles each week
- 150 Miles - minimum of 18.75 miles each week
Unified Pair - Athlete and Partner
Distances - Choose one (1) distance that you feel you and the athlete can complete in eight (8) weeks. This distance is a combined total of miles walked, ran or rolled by you and your partner.
- 50 Miles - minimum of 6 miles per week
- 100 Miles - minimum of 12.5 miles per week
- 200 Miles - minimum of 25 miles per week
- 300 Miles - minimum of 37.5 miles per week
- All Coaches or Unified Partners must be Class A volunteers
- Athletes participating in the Stride Challenge are not required to have a current SOPA athlete application (medical) on file, but will be required to sign an electronic waiver
- Athletes may participate in one individual challenge plus one of the Unified Pairs events
- All athletes must join an individual challenge in order to participate in a pairs challenge
- Athlete miles will count towards the individual challenge as well as the pairs challenge
Using the registration link for the chosen distance, athletes will complete a series of questions
Using the registration link for the chosen distance, Partners will complete a series of questions.
Registration Without Computer Access
If you are unable to use a computer to track your mileage, print the Stride Manual Registration and Tracking Forms.
Week 4 - November 9 – 15
- By November 18th a copy of your registration form, waiver signature page and tracking sheet must be submitted to your local programs’ competition coordinator.
Week 8 - December 7 – 13
- By December 15th a copy of your tracking sheet must be submitted to your programs’ competition coordinator.
Competition Coordinator – Manual Recording of Distances for the Stride Challenge
Any Questions? Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
An Awesome Way to Track Group Challenges. Challenge Hound supports both individual and team challenges. For individual challenges, each participant completes the full challenge goal. For team challenges, the team’s activities are aggregated to complete the challenge goal together.
Setting Up a Unified Team on Challenge Hound – Walk-Through Video
How to Add an Activity to Challenge Hound – Walk-Through Video
A mobile application and website that can be used to track activities using GPS data with your phone or watch. All activities logged with Strava are automatically synced to Challenge Hound.
Weekly, Over the Course of 8 Weeks
- Walk, Run, or Roll (wheelchair) tracking your distance and the time that it takes.
- Activate your work-out through Strava or your Strava Connections, such as Fitbit, Apple Watch, etc.
- If not tracking through a device, information can be entered into Challenge Hound manually.
- Share your photos, videos and Spirit Week activities via social media. #SONAStride #PAStride